Friday, October 20, 2006

Finally Online Again

Friday, 10/20/06
2020

Well, it’s been an interesting first week on the job. I have a lot to write about but it’s late. I just got my computer up and running this afternoon. I’ve felt very cut off all week, and sure enough, the first email I read today was from the XO, sent yesterday morning, telling me I was to brief the commander on some project status issues no later than the end of the day! Since my account was active he got no error message – there was just no computer attached to my account so I didn’t get my email until it went live.

I find it interesting that every installation (or at least every theater) has its own network and is separate from all the others. I already have an AKO account, yet I went through this same process in Korea and now again here in Kuwait. It seems to me that we should have the ability to simply log in wherever we are at, without having to identify people to the network all over again each time.

Oh, well, that’s just the way it is. (I think I’ll be saying that a lot over the next few months – the art will be in knowing when to push back and ask “Why?” and “Can we change it?”)

These computers have a lot of restrictions. I still won’t be able to chat on IM, and I am limited on what websites I can go to. All streaming media is (are) filtered. But at least I’ll be able to monitor some things without having to rely exclusively on trips to the library or the cyber café. I’ll probably end up going there about once a week for updates.

There’s a lot to tell about my week, but it’s getting late and I’m tired. I also have some information to look up. So I’ll post this, finish up, and get out of the office. I'll try for a real update over the weekend.

Mood: Busy
Music: The Cranberries – I Can't Be With You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home