Sunday, July 01, 2007

World of Warcraft

My younger daughter loves to play the massive multi-player online role playing game "World of Warcraft". She talked about it to me constantly but I only had a sketchy idea of what she was talking about.

While home on R&R I decided to get the game and play it, primarily as a way of interacting with her and having something to talk about. So I've been doing that since I got back. The funny thing is, the game is really fun, and very addictive. Now I have one more distraction keeping me from doing the productive things I ought to be doing. But it's in a good cause.

She and I have met online a few times. If she's not busy off battling monsters or doing something with her guild, she'll fly over to wherever I am and hang out with me for awhile. She is a level 70 Shaman, so she totally outclasses me (I am only a level 17 Tauren Hunter). She helps me find stuff and kills beasts and so forth. She also has some lesser characters that she plays with once in awhile. The other night we had some duels just for fun. Of course, she sliced me to ribbons with her swords and dual-wielding skills (for which I am not yet eligible, not having reached level 20). Lest you think it's all blood and gore, we also hugged each other and danced together. Amazing!

I chose for my character to be a "Tauren" based on my daughter's recommendation. The race looks like an upright bison or buffalo, and their society has a lot of characteristics of American Indian culture. I chose to be a hunter because they can use ranged weapons (guns and bows). Being a shooter in real life, I prefer standoff weapons like that, although I have a pretty good axe to wield in a melee (shades of Beorn the Berserker!). I also have a pet Wolf that I tamed. It runs around with me and defends or attacks on my command. I often shoot beasts or enemies from afar while the wolf keeps them busy. I just found out tonight that I can name it. The best dog I ever had was named Sweetie, short for Sweetheart (Yes, I am a Sigma Chi, but that's another story). Somehow that name doesn't seem right for a killer wolf, though...I guess we'll see how I feel over time.

Here I am:


Wildgraf 1
Originally uploaded by
hkp7fan.


My character's name is Wildgraf: "A Wildgraf, Wildgrave, or Waldgrave was originally a nobleman of the status of count who had jurisdiction over uncultivated areas, forests and uninhabited districts. His legal privileges eventually vested in him the power of a chief forester and gamekeeper of a district." (answers.com)

I chose the trades of skinning and leatherworking since they go well with hunting. Using the leather from the beasts I kill and skin, I can make things to sell to merchants in the towns for money. I use this to buy other stuff I need. The game is incredibly complex and varied. I guess it has to be, with over 6 million players.

Tonight I found an interesting character with a name quite similar to that of my older daughter. Friends and family can view it on Flickr as WoW Screenshot 1 and WoW Screenshot 2.

Anyway, the game is fun and relaxing. I can see how people spend so much time on it. Ironically enough (considering that I am "escaping" from the desert), I am currently playing mostly in a place called "The Barrens" which is a desert-like land with a few oases here and there.

In case you play, I am in the Thorium Brotherhood Realm. Stop by sometime and we'll go questing.

Mood: Happy
Music: Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home