Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snow Days

Tuesday 11 January 2011
1111

That’s right, it’s 11:11 on 1/11/11, kind of a cool date (FWIW, I also remember 12:34 on 5/6/78).

So, welcome to the “Sunny South” . For the second day in a row, Fort McPherson is closed along with almost everything in Atlanta due to snow and ice.

When I heard yesterday morning that the post was closed, it was a bit hard to believe. I had been out cleaning the ice off my Jeep getting ready to go in when someone told me the news. I went and looked online, and sure enough, it was closed. I made several phone calls to see if this really meant the military personnel weren’t going in, and didn’t get any answers or get any calls back. So I guess they really weren’t there.

Being from Michigan, it was kind of hard for me to appreciate how a little snow and ice could completely paralyze a city, but they just aren’t prepared for it down here. They don’t have the equipment such as plows and salt trucks to handle it (at least not in sufficient quantities), nor are the people used to it. This makes driving in icy conditions especially perilous. One person I talked to who’s been here awhile but was originally from Minnesota advised me to “get to high ground, stay put, and watch, because winter driving here is a spectator sport”.

To be fair, conditions are pretty extreme. Even in Michigan I’ve never had such a thick layer of ice on my car. You’d be better off with ice skates. It was quite a job just to walk to the restaurant next door. When I went there to eat, I thanked the people for being at work, and they told me that the restaurant was putting them up at the hotel. Ditto for the people here at the hotel – they are just staying here in empty rooms rather than driving back and forth to work.

All the news is about the weather, and I have to say that I’m not sorry to be here instead of on the road – it looks like driving would be quite an adventure.

If I had more to do at the office I might go in anyway, but my computer still wasn’t working when I left on Friday, and there won’t be anyone there to help me get it working. So I can’t even sit and read files about my new job. There would be literally nothing for me to do. So I’m trying to keep busy here preparing travel vouchers and doing other admin tasks.

I’ll be glad to get to work – it seems strange to be sitting here weather-bound after all the times we went to the field in extreme winter conditions in Germany back in the 1980s…the Army is supposed to be able to operate in weather like this but I guess the city of Atlanta can’t.


Mood: Cabin Fever
Music: Clicking keyboard

4 Comments:

At 10:38, Blogger VolleyFireWargames said...

Hey Brad being from Idaho I can relate to how "amusing" it is that 4 - 6 inches of snow and ice paralyze Atlanta. Anyway out of curiousity besides the real war stuff you involved in have you ever done any "historical miniature wargaming"? How far away from Fort McPherson are your lodgings at the Drury Inn.
ttyl David

 
At 11:01, Blogger Brad said...

David:

I never did any wargaming with miniatures, but in the 1970s and 1980s I was very into war games from companies like Avalon Hill and SPI. My favorites were 1914, Panzer Leader, Arab-Israeli Wars, and Fulda Gap. I tried City Fight, but it was just a bit too complicated to flow smoothly (or maybe I never had anyone who really wanted to learn the gaming system).

These kinds of games are all but obsolete now that computers can take over all the mechanics that used to be handled with hex maps, terrain charts, attack/defense/movement values, dice, and combat results tables. But it sure was fun to sit up all night playing those game in college and when I was a young lieutenant! Fulda Gap was kind of scary, though, considering that the gameboard included my own defensive sector in Germany, and that the Russians always won...

 
At 11:36, Blogger VolleyFireWargames said...

Hey Brad well I am perhaps heading over to Augusta for a local convention in two weeks. Here are a couple of links for todays gaming just in case you are bored in the Atlanta Freezing snow zone.
http://volleyfirewargames.blogspot.com/

http://siegeofaugusta.com/

http://www.hmgs.org/

http://hmgs-midsouth.org/

You really have to check out iron mitton's blog and cartoons he let me use one as my "face" for my blog.

http://iron-mitten.blogspot.com/

Course I think Flames of War has taken the place of the ole standard ASL.

I hope I can introduce you to the "joys' of historical gaming before you leave the "fair" city of Atlanta. I know of three local game shops that might be within driving distance once the snows clear. (funny never thought I would use that phrase here in the south.) Hobby town in Kennesaw, Gigabites Cafe in Marrieta and Treefort games in Fayetteville.

Also I think you said you were going to Fort Bragg their is a gaming group in Raleigh that you could check out if your interested - they have a convention coming up in April.


http://www.trianglesimsociety.org/

 
At 12:50, Blogger Brad said...

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'll have time for that while I'm here, though. If I do have any free time I intend to find a range and do some shooting! I need to get reacquainted with some old friends (HKP7M8 and M1911A1) as well as a new friend (Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM 16).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home