Friday, June 06, 2014

Remembering D-Day

30 years ago today I was in Normandy observing the 40th Anniversary of D-Day, after a three-week bicycle ride across France from the German border. Today after work I'll be at the Cross Creek Rifle and Pistol Club shooting an M1 Carbine and Colt M1911A1, in honor of those who staked their lives upon these weapons 70 years ago.

I remember my uncle, Private Roy Jennings, 37th Engineer Combat Battalion, who landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day. He would never talk about the war, but years after his death my aunt sent me a list of dates and places he had been during his service. The entry for 6 June, 1944 was Colville-sur-Mer, France, i.e. Omaha Beach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/37th_Engineer_Battalion_(United_States)

Wherever you are and whatever you do today, please remember those who risked everything to defeat tyranny and defend freedom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home