Friday, June 13, 2008

Heat, Wind, and Dust

Saturday 14 June
0800

Maybe I should have called it "Earth, Wind, and Fire".
I am definitely back in the desert. Since I got back we have had only one or two reasonably clear days. Most of the time the wind has been blowing pretty fiercely, which in this part of the world means that there is dust in the air. They say that the week before I came back was really bad, and I believe it. There are drifts of accumulated sand alongside of every structure and object outside that are far larger than anything I’ve seen since I’ve been here. Right now it’s not quite “sandstorm” intensity, but quite often the visibility has been only about 500 yards, and you get grit in your eyes and teeth and a grungy feeling all over just from being outside.

The temperature has fluctuated a little since I’ve been back, but mostly it’s just been hot, in the 110F – 115F range. Coupled with the dust, it is not very comfortable to be outside, and I am grateful that my duties do not require me to remain outside for very long at a time.

For a long time now I have been dreaming of a wilderness trip upon my return home. Backpacker Magazine has sustained me with stories and images of the kind of wilderness I crave. For the past few months, I had settled on Isle Royale in Michigan’s Lake Superior as my dream destination, and while I was home I bought the trail map and guide book at REI. I’ve been reading it since returning, and it's a nice escape. I am afraid I probably won’t have time to go there before it closes for the season this year, but I’ll at least get in some kind of weekend trips during the fall, and maybe be prepared to tackle Isle Royale next spring or summer.

I read a quote from Thoreau recently that seems quite appropriate for me. It perfectly captures my attitude towards the outdoors in general, and toward wilderness in particular:

"I come home to my solitary woodland walk as the homesick go home. I thus dispose of the superfluous and see things as they are, grand and beautiful.
- Henry David Thoreau

Only six weeks to go before I start out-processing! :-)


Mood: Happy
Music: The Eagles – Take it Easy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home