Saturday, October 31, 2009

Gruesst Euch Heidelberg!

Saturday 31 Oktober 2009
1845

“Gruess Dich!” is an informal way of saying “Hello!” in German, and that’s just what I did today, both to the country and city at large and to any individual people who would listen. :-) ("Gruesst Euch" is the plural version - I'm getting used to German grammar again...)

This assignment didn’t happen by accident. It occurred to me nearly a year ago that as long as I had made the decision to resume my military career and do my best to stay on active duty, there was no reason I could not try to get a tour in Europe again. I started poking around, and by last spring I was on a full-court press hunting for a position here. I treated it just like you would any other job search, and was fortunate to be accepted into the USAREUR ODCSENG (US Army Europe, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Engineers). I’m not sure exactly what job I’ll be doing there yet – they’ve mentioned several different potential assignments. But whatever it is, it will be in Europe and not the desert, so I’m as happy as a clam.

I flew out of Doha International Airport at 0145 this morning, and arrived in Frankfurt around 0630. I got a little sleep on the plane, but not much. (I’m completely exhausted, so this will be a short entry!)

Someone was supposed to pick me up at the airport, but they seem to have gotten their signals crossed. After a couple of hours and a few phone calls, I ended up taking a shuttle from Frankfurt to Heidelberg. Under other circumstances it might have bugged me a little, but I was just so happy to be here that it didn’t matter at all. Besides, it was a nice ride and gave me a chance to simply look at the scenery (and speak a little with the driver) without having to talk about military business.

I was expecting to have to stay in Army Lodging on one of the bases here, but the officer I spoke with told me to go ahead and go to a hotel nearby. Since I’m alone for the weekend (What? You don’t work Saturdays and Sundays here?), this is much better, as it has more convenient access to the public transportation to get downtown.

It was nearly noon before I was completely situated and ready to decide what to do with myself for the rest of the day. I was very tired but also excited to be here. I considered a nap, but decided to go walk around downtown for the afternoon and just go to bed early. Early to bed on Halloween – what a party pooper! Oh well, that’s just how it goes.

I had a nice afternoon walking around downtown. The weather was very nice – chilly but with the sun peeking in and out all day. I bought a city map and took a few pictures. None of them is very good, and I didn’t get any of the castle (although I had a very nice view of it as we drove into town). Here are just a few for the flavor of it:




View up a side street off the Hautpstrasse in the Fussgaengerzone (Pedestrian zone)




A view north up the Hauptstrasse




The doorway into one of the buildings of Heidelberg University




I ate lunch at "The White Swan" - the little sign on the doorway says "1778"





My first meal on this tour in Germany - Jaegerschnitzel, Pommes Frites, and Heidelberger Pils. Mmmm!





This store was too funny. The lady working in the store was standing in view when I first walked by, and she would have fit right in - dressed to the nines in really outrageous clothing. But she stepped out of view before I could get my camera out.

I finally got tired and got on the Strassenbahn (streetcar) and came back to the hotel. After this it’s a nice hot shower and bed. Tomorrow is another day free to explore before I get started on my business here. (I don’t think it will take me long to get used to these two-day weekends again!)

Mood: Tired and Happy
Music: City street noises

3 Comments:

At 00:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, you've been in germany for a few weeks, and i'd love to know how you're getting on. reading your blog with interest, and looking forward to more. have fun, jeanne

 
At 18:51, Anonymous Tamara Johnston said...

Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful with the family. Much love to all of you. Call me when you get back to town.Love Tamara

 
At 19:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you made it back safe. I've been following your blog since last year as I was also deploying to CAS.

I shook your hand once in the chow hall but my own deployment moved me on to Iraq and eventually to Tampa.

Like you, I've been contemplative of my deployment. Coming back I decided to take the family to Hawaii for Christmas.

As I write this I'm looking out of the courtyard of the Hale Koa in Waikiki, grateful to have the desert behind me (for now) and to be back with my family.

I'll likely stop following your blog now - it stops on a happy ending and I'll forever see you enjoying rumpsteak while listening to idle German chatter.

Thanks for the information, encouragement and camaraderie.


T-Bone

 

Post a Comment

<< Home