Saturday, April 09, 2022

Apparently I am a "Fletcherite"

A week or two ago I was at the REI store in Spokane, looking at the hiking snack section out of pure habit (I always check for Kendal Mint Cake, even though they haven’t had it for years, are not going to get it, and I no longer need to buy it there). An employee asked me if she could help me find something, and I told her about it. Naturally she’d never heard of it, and when I told her about Colin Fletcher she’d never heard of him either. As the widely-acknowledged “Father of Modern Backpacking”, I believe he should be remembered. I was sad to see that this thirty-ish REI employee had no idea who he was, and that not a single one of his books is for sale there.
A little nostalgic online searching for references to “Colin Fletcher” led me to several unexpected treasures, including the 2016 biography “Walking Man” by Robert Wehrman, which I immediately bought and am currently reading. It’s very good, and I recommend it to any “Fletcherite” (a term I learned from the author - apparently I am one) or, frankly, anyone who enjoys hiking and backpacking in wild places.





There are many more references to Colin Fletcher online:


Coincidentally, my "Facebook Memory" for today was a post I wrote two years ago, after finally finding a source for Kendal Mint Cake, a traditional British mountaineering and hiking snack about which I had learned from Colin Fletcher in "The Complete Walker":

=========================

Romney's Kendal Mint Cake, brown variety.


April 9, 2020: "DHL delivered a happy package to me today, all the way from England. Romney’s Kendal Mintcake has been a favorite backpacking snack since I was about 15 years old. It was a traditional favorite of British mountaineers, and accompanied Sir Edmund Hillary on the 1953 Mt. Everest Expedition. In fact, when they found George Mallory’s frozen body on Mt. Everest in 1999 after he disappeared in the 1924 expedition, he is said to have had Kendal Mintcake in his pocket.
Made of almost pure glucose with a little peppermint oil, it is a great source of quick energy. I usually break off a small piece and just let it slowly melt in my mouth as I walk. My usual ration is 1 bar (85 grams) per day, for about 300 calories.
REI used to carry it, but stopped in the early 2000’s. I have searched for it in vain ever since, and was supplementing it with chocolate to stretch my dwindling supply. Earlier this week I found a seller on eBay who carries it, and even offers free shipping. So I bought 2 boxes (80 bars).
I am looking forward to many miles of walking in the mountains of Idaho, happily savoring the taste and energy boost of Kendal Mintcake. "
=============================

It took me awhile after writing that, but as readers of the blog (all three of you, lol) already know, I finally made it out into the mountains last summer, and I did indeed take along Kendal Mint Cake.
Reading Fletcher's biography has rekindled my reverence for his memory:
 

I think I may be in the beginning stages of a personal campaign to help resurrect and preserve Colin Fletcher’s rightful place in history, while enough of us who remember him and appreciate what he gave us are still alive and kicking (walking).  
🙂

Mood: Contemplative
Music: Silence (well, ticking cuckoo clock)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home