Thursday, March 02, 2023

North Idaho Objectivism Society

I finally got off the dime and did something I've had in mind for a long time - took steps to establish a group to study and promote Objectivism here in North Idaho.

I haven't done anything like this since I was a graduate student at the University of Michigan in the late 1980s.  In 1985 two other students and I established the University of Michigan Students of Objectivism (UMSO).  It was a very active and successful club.  We learned a lot, and had a lot of fun, but it was also a tremendous amount of work.  It paid off in that the club stayed continuously active for the next 22 years.

Since that time I have continued to support the Ayn Rand Institute through financial donations, but have not done anything to try to organize any kind of discussions or activities about Objectivism.  Now that I am retired and moved to Idaho, I have felt like I wanted to get something started.  Now I've gotten to the point where I took the bull by the horns and did it. 

I decided to use Meetup.com as a vehicle for organizing the group, at least initially.  It provides a ready structure for establishing a presence, scheduling and publicizing events, and communicating with members.  It has some limitations, but I thought it would be a good place to start while I see where it is likely to go.

I had some cards printed up:



And started a Meetup.com group: North Idaho Objectivism Society

Our first event has been announced: Philosophy: Who Needs It? The Metaphysical Versus the Man-Made

I say "our" advisedly - I have been joking that the society currently has "nearly two members".  "We" are poised for impressive growth - the first new member will represent 100% growth!  

I really have no idea what to expect from this.  I sincerely hope to meet at least a few like-minded people with whom I can have interesting conversations that advance our mutual understanding of the philosophy. I would like to understake some outreach efforts to reach more young people, most likely through the books for teachers and essay contests supported by the Ayn Rand Institute.

I'll see who shows up at the event and adjust from there.  I got a room at the library that seats ten people.  Although I would love to imagine that I'll fill the room, I won't be surprised if I end up sitting there by myself reading for the entire time.  But you have to start someplace.

Mood:  Hopeful

Music:  Richard Halley's 5th Concerto (I wish!)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home